I am not sure how many of the people on this list subscribe to LWN, but
there was, for me, an eye-opening article on "Barriers and journaling
filesystems": http://lwn.net/Articles/283161/

Even if you don't subscribe I'll try to explain the core of the document....

The issue is in what state is a filesystem left after a disk or Linux
"crash"?

Journaling filesystems can only be as good/safe/reliable as the
integrity of the Journal file itself. If the data being written to a
Journal file is written out-of-order, as can happen because of various
disk write optimization techniques in both the Linux kernel and the disk
hardware itself, then there is the possibility that the Journal "COMMIT"
record get written to disk before the other Journal data records.

The current solution to this is for Filesystems such as ext3 to enable
"barriers", which in theory should cause a sync to occur of all pending
data before the "COMMIT" record can be written.

Now here's the big catch - LVM does not currently support "barriers",
and so any ext3 on LVM is exposed to possible corruption.

I note that RedHat defaults to putting all of their filesystems under
LVM on System z right now......

The Linux Kernel defaults to not using "barriers", but SLES has a patch
to enable it by default.

I am curious what plans there maybe, or workaround solutions, for both
SLES and RHEL?

mark