You need to address 3 problems using "native tools" (or any tools for that
matter).

1) Prior to SLES10, the CPU data is VERY WRONG. Easy to prove, and I keep
naively thinking
i don't need to keep reproving this.  So you would be using PERL to get bad
data?

2) The overhead is an issue. You should target .1% of a CPU for instrumentation
of a Linux
server - this scales very well.  I guess if your script woke up every hour to
collect bad
data, you could keep your overhead at .1%.

3) You want complete data. Hopefully for obvious reasons.

For a solution to these three problems:

Google "z/VM Linux capacity planning".  See "WHYLPS.HTML".
Google "z/VM Linux chargeback". see the same.
Go to SHARE or GSE and ask the more successful installations what they do?

I could give more, but am already over edge of being blatant.

Tim McCluskey wrote:

I just read this CMG paper: 'Monitoring Linux with Native Tools' by
Robert Anderson.
If your not a member I believe that the proceedings are publicly
available but you must register.
If not let me know...

Also if your a PERL programmer check out http://www.perfdynamics.com/main.html

Hope this helps.