On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 8:10 PM, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Key phrases: "if asked to do so" and "data it collects". GIGO.

I believe you have not even tried... Performance Toolkit only
maintains history information for a limited set of system-wide
metrics. That's all. And yes, if you can predict up-front which user
will be interesting you can enable benchmarking for it. But it is not
really fair to tell people afterwards that should have enabled
benchmarking. If we can predict problems I would like to prevent them
as well, so you would not even need performance monitoring. Duh.

> Depends on what you want the data for. Overall trends may be good
> enough. YMMV.

Even when you charge people just on the CPU usage per virtual machine,
you can wait for the moment they come back and want you to justify the
charges since they "have not been using that much"  So even for
something that trivial, you want to be able to come up with process
data. And guess what happens when you process data does not match the
VM data - pretty weak case to convince them.

Rob