Oops should be:
'pipe cms listfile * * k (date noh | tabulate by 1-8 sum 40-44 | console'

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Mary Anne Matyaz
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 8:20 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Vexxing Rexx

Ok, first off, I know it's spelled vexing. But that doesn't look as nice. :)

I'm having fun with rexx today. First, I'll tell you the problem I'm trying
to solve, in case theres a better way, then I'll
tell you the problem I'm having in my rexx exec.

Problem: I have 50 some linuxes all sending their logs to
vmsysu:conlog:*linuxname.
*As it gets fuller, I'd like to know
which linux is spewing the most log. Right now I do a dirlist and go in to
each one looking for who has the most records.
I'd like to be able to total it up. Maybe even (gasp) write a report.
So I start with an itty bitty rexx exec. I'm just going to look at linux1
and try to total it. With apologies to Kris for my
atrocious rexx coding, here it is:

totrec = 0
SET FILESP CONLOG
ACCESS .LINUX1 K
'pipe (endchar ?)',
'CMS FLIST * * K (NOCLEAR | STEM SFSREC.';
Do i = 1 to sfsrec.0
 parse var SFSREC.i FNAME FTYPE FMODE FRECL FLEN FREC FBLK FDT FTM
totrec = totrec + FREC
End
say 'LINUX1 Total Records: ' totrec
RELEASE K
Exit;

It seemed pretty simple to me. Of course it didn't work. So I tried some
PIPE commands in CMS.
PIPE CMS LISTF * * A | > file list a      works. Creates the file named FILE
LIST A
However,
PIPE CMS FLIST * * A | > file list a      doesn't work. Doesn't put it in
the file, but does display it on my screen.

Normally, I'd just go with the output of listf. However, it doesn't have
size info.

Any suggestions? Does FLIST not work in Pipes? How would I know that?
(Looked thru the rexx manual, pipes manual, cms cmds manual.)

Thanks as always!
Mary Anne