Gidday,

<NB: cross-posted to IBM-VM listserver>

We're looking to implement FTPS with certificates and SSL/TLS. We've tried
z/OS but it would appear that the server refuses to process Clear Command
Channel commands. So now we're looking for alternatives such as under z/VM
or z/Linux.

It seems that many FTPS servers under Linux are RFC 4217 compliant.

RFC 4217 (at http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4217#page-25) states...

15.3.  Issues with the CCC Command

   Using the CCC command can create security issues.  For a full
   description, see the "CLEAR COMMAND CHANNEL (CCC)" section of
   [RFC-2228].  Clients should not assume that a server will allow the
   CCC command to be processed.

   Server implementations may wish to refuse to process the CCC command
   on a session that has not passed through some form of client
   authentication (e.g., TLS client auth or FTP USER/PASS).  This can
   prevent anonymous clients from repeatedly requesting AUTH TLS
   followed by CCC to tie up resources on the server.

Can anyone advise whether there are packages available for z/Linux that
will allow CCC to be used, eg vsftpd?  We are SUSE SLES 10.1, if that
matters.

Regards,
Fred Schmidt
Department of Corporate and Information Services (DCIS)
Data Centre Services (DCS)
Northern Territory Government, Australia