> We are running production work on zVM 3.1 (don't ask why)
> running 2nd level under zVM 5.1 . Things has been running good
> for more than a year until t his change: Hardware was upgraded
> from z990 to z9 . Now guest zVM3.1 is running 100% cpu; 1st
> level zVM 5.1 is running 100% CPU. We can't go back t o z990
> because many more zOS are running in other LPARs.

Ismael:

There are no processor specific PTFs to z/VM V5 for the z9 that I
can see that might cause this. Assuming you were current on z/VM
service for the z990, of course. I am also not aware of anything
in the z9 that is different from the z990 that would cause issues
for z/VM V3.

As others have suggested, use something like Track, ESAMON,
Perfkit/RTM to find out what is causing the high CPU utilization.

Jim