One should ask some really tough questions :)
When was your last release for this platform?
What date is the next planned update?
How does that compare to the other platform?  Are they on the same
level?
How many other z customers do you have?
Can you give me references?
Quiz the marketing rep--- who else is he/she marketing too at the
moment?  Can we have some joint discussions/presentations?

(once bitten twice shy :)

I kinda feel for the vendors.  This is a very tough and really super
educated crowd.  (what other computer internet list can you get on and
not get ripped apart for being clueless ? :)  While that it is good,
that just means fewer vendors are going to tread into the z linux space
without a good sized handful of customers with checkbooks (unless they
are IBM - but hey, not even all their stuff runs on z linux :)  Even CA
hasn't made good progress in z Linux things and their pockets are
probably deep and they do understand the z customers.   We've had some
success in getting together with other large customers and pressuring
the vendors to deliver z linux agents for their stuff (we're not even
asking for the servers -- just the darn agents so we can fall in line
with the company choices -- choices made by the distributed world
czars).

Levanta did really help with a lot of the systems management issues that
Mike asked about.  The interface to the VM directory (whether it be
VM:secure, Dirmaint/RACF, or xedit the big file) - call that 'virtual
bare metal' if you will, was flawless.  They solved the DASD sharing
problem transparently to the server with their mapfs filesystem.   Being
venture capitalist funded... They ran outta time (but imploded way way
after the rest of those who came on the map in 2000 :)

Marcy
"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or any information herein. If you have received this