Erik N Johnson wrote:
Building a kernel is not a herculean task by any measure.  It is
completely automated and the configuration can easily be done
graphically if you have an X11 server.  You probably need to go
looking for some literature before you try to boot up a machine as
expensive as a z10 on a homebrew kernel, but scads of PC Linux users
build their own kernel with every new release.  The benefit is perhaps
to be questioned on big iron, bearing in mind that the folks like SuSE
that provide those default builds also provide lots of the actual
kernel code.  Besides, the peripherals on a mainframe are much less
numerous and klugey, eliminating another big reason to roll your own.
It's not hard, just not that useful.

Hackers aside, it's rarely useful on little iron either. The reason most
cited is "to improve performance" by which I expect they mean to save
time sometime.

They need to save a lot of time to recoup the time spent building and
checking the kernel. As best I recall it took me around 90 minutes
computer to build a fairly complete Fedora kernel on a Core 2 system; it
would take quite a bit longer than that for me to configure a basic
kernel that works.

fwfw I was trying to resolve a problem and get _some_ performance with
new kernels as opposed to _better_ performance.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait