Mark Post wrote:
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at  9:11 PM, in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jim Fujimoto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello List,

I want to dynamically add a cpu to a single cpu SLES10 SP1 server.
If this were a SLES9 server I would echo a 1 into
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online, but only the ../cpu0
directory exists on the SLES10 server. Has the method to do this changed?

Yes.  The kernel no longer defines 32 CPUs, whether they're available or not.  Absent any kernel
parms, it detects how many are present, and defines the control blocks for just that amount.  If
you want to have the ability to dynamically add more later, you have to use the
"possible_cpus=n" kernel parm, where "n" is the maximum number you anticipate
wanting.

You can find more information in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/cpu-hotplug.txt

Also of interest to some maybe the cpuplugd supplied on SLES-10-SP2 in
s390-tools. See "man cpuplugd".

mark