From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Erik N Johnson
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 11:17 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Reiser

> Sometimes, I see people on RHEL lists talking about building their own

> kernel. My advice generally goes something like

> 1. Check your support contract (think it says "unsupported," it would
if

> I were the vendor).

> 2. Use CentOS (or Scientific Linux) on that system.

> Sometimes I might also suggest checking the supply of CentOS kernels.

Or roll your own completely from scratch.  If you don't have a reason

to build a kernel, don't.  But if you have a computer capable of

amazing feats of virtualization and there's something to be gained by

making a change IPL a whole new kernel.  Make your changes in that

one.  It's sand-boxed, right?  Nothing is permanent here.  Nobody is

asking you to put your entire clientele at the mercy of some

experiment.

If this kind of talk makes you wince then you're right to think "I

should just go with the program that comes in the box that my vendor

provides and not ask any questions or poke any holes in anything.  If

you don't have people actually programming for a mainframe on a

mainframe this doesn't make any sense either.  I guess my question

would have to be:  In an environment where changes cost people money

and people are making unnecessary changes, why are you worried about

reining them in?  FIRE THEM.  You don't praise accountants for

creativity.  If somebody is trying to use your very expensive

machinery to solve a problem in a new and interesting way that is

going to make your company money though, that's when I'm confused

about why you would ever rein in the creative process.  Programmers DO

create things, after all.

Erik Johnson

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:40 PM, John Summerfield

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Alan Altmark wrote:

>> On Monday, 07/14/2008 at 05:55 EDT, Erik N Johnson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> wrote:

>>> Building a kernel is not a herculean task by any measure.  It is

>>> completely automated and the configuration can easily be done

>>> graphically if you have an X11 server.  You probably need to go

>>> looking for some literature before you try to boot up a machine as

>>> expensive as a z10 on a homebrew kernel, but scads of PC Linux users

>>> build their own kernel with every new release.  The benefit is
perhaps

>>> to be questioned on big iron, bearing in mind that the folks like
SuSE

>>> that provide those default builds also provide lots of the actual

>>> kernel code.  Besides, the peripherals on a mainframe are much less

>>> numerous and klugey, eliminating another big reason to roll your
own.

>>> It's not hard, just not that useful.

>> It's not a question of difficulty.  When you build your own kernel,
the

>> support you get from the distributors evaporates.  Corporate
customers

>> need someone to flog in case things go bad, ergo no custom kernels by

>> policy.

>> Perhaps the distributors are more tolerant of custom kernels on other

>> platforms - I don't know.

> Sometimes, I see people on RHEL lists talking about building their own

> kernel. My advice generally goes something like

> 1. Check your support contract (think it says "unsupported," it would
if

> I were the vendor).

> 2. Use CentOS (or Scientific Linux) on that system.

> Sometimes I might also suggest checking the supply of CentOS kernels.

> --

> Cheers

> John

> -- spambait

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> -- Advice

> http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

> You cannot reply off-list:-)

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390
or