hmm.. I just tried this on my Linux workstation and the numbers are pretty
close between free -m and swapon -s.

Could it be that something is attempting to load into memory that can't be
swapped out and really needs more than 128M?    Maybe try 256M and see how
it goes?

Others here probably have more knowledge of Linux memory management and what
conditions are going to result in an out of memory w/o hitting swap...

Scott