Maybe you want to use the dasd_configure script which is part of
s390-tools on SLES?  This is what I've used:
dasd_configure 0.0.0123 1 0
The comments in this script say the usage is:
   dasd_configure <ccwid> <online> <use_diag>
And, as mentioned, after you add the disk(s), run mkinitrd and zipl.
The script creates the hardware config file for the disk in
/etc/sysconfig/hardware.

--
Bruce Hayden
Linux on System z Advanced Technical Support