Tom, suggestions:

1- To automate the IPL, I start my Linuxes together with VM, coding  "CP
XAUTOLOG <guest>" into AUTOLOG1's profile.exec
2- To automate Shutdown, there are changes on VM (SYSTEM CONFIG) and in
Linux (zipl.conf)

Resuming:

   On SYSTEM CONFIG (can be activated by commands, too):
   (These numbers are times in seconds and must be adjusted for your
   installation). See manuals.

/**********************************************************************/
/*                    CP SIGNAL                                       */
/**********************************************************************/
 SET SIGNAL SHUTDOWN 30
 SET SHUTDOWNTIME 60

   On zipl.conf, include the parameters vmpoff and vmphalt:

[ipl]
    parameters = "root=/dev/system/sistema vmphalt=logoff vmpoff=logoff
TERM=dumb"

These customization will instruct the VM to delay the FORCE until the Linux
complete his halt process. Also works for the LPAR DEACTIVATE. And instruct
the Linux to do the LOGOFF command itself.

See details on VM manuals and in the Cookbooks for RHEL and for SLES.
Good luck.
Clovis Pereira
zVM & zOS Support -  SWS
Maintenance and Technical Support Services
MTS Brazil
phone: 55-11-2132-3399
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             Tom Burkholder
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             vc.com>                                                    To
             Sent by: Linux on         LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
             390 Port                                                   cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             IST.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       z/VM CP commands (LOGON)?

             21/08/2008 16:10

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

z/VM'ers,

After a few searches and actually scanning the CP commands and utilities
manual, hopefully I can get some help with this z/VM related question.  If
I have a z/linux guest called "ztrash01", I can logon to z/VM as ztrash01,
IPL xxx, logon to Linux and shutdown -h now, and if I'm still logged on as
console from my 3270 terminal session, enter logoff.  No problem.

The "why" I want to do the following is to potentially stress test some
applications by forcing off a z/Linux guest (crash) and then eventually
trying to automate and re-IPL, but first I gotta be able to do some basic
z/VM CP commands below.

I read the LOGON in the CP commands and Utilities reference, but I'm doing
something wrong (other than trying to trash and stress test my guest).

I'm still playing with test systems, but from a z/VM CP perspective, for
now the Linux guest "ztrash01" is shutdown and halted, but "ztrash01" is
still logged onto z/VM.

1. If I'm logged on as "operator" to z/VM, I can issue CP command "q n" and
see that guest ztrash01 is logged onto z/VM and DSC (disconnected).
2. Still as operator, I can issued CP command "force ztrash01 logoff immed"
and this logs the guest, ztrash01, off of z/VM (FORCED BY OPERATOR)
3. Still as operator, a "q n" verifies that the guest is gone (i.e. logged
off z/VM)
4.  Now, as operator, instead of going to another z/VM terminal session and
logging on as "ztrash01", still as operator, I would like to cause the
guest "ztrash01" to logon (and eventually IPL).

To cause the IPL of guest "ztrash01" at LOGON, I believe I can put that in
the PROFILE EXEC (e.g. IPL xxx) at the end, but how (if at all) can I cause
the guest to be logged on (opposite of FORCE) while being logged on to z/VM
as operator?

Thanks in advance,
Tom B.

<<inline: graycol.gif>>