>>> On 8/22/2008 at  2:40 PM, in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brad Hinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hinson
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> -snip-
>>> Note: The %
>>> is an escape character to '#cp vi vmsg' which sets input to lowercase.
>>> Otherwise root= is sent as ROOT=, which Linux doesn't like very much.
>>
>> Hmm.  Not on my SLES10 SP1 system.  Something in the interface lower-cases
> the input for me.  I don't know if this is a mod we made to zipl (I doubt
> it), or we're running a newer version of s390-tools than you.
>> s390-tools-1.6.0-1.20
>>

>> Mark Post
>>

> Interesting..  I grabbed that from the device drivers reference (maybe
> old link):
>
> download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/dw/linux390/docu/l390dd03.pdf
> (p. 27, pdf p. 39)

That's a very old version of the manual.  The current one is l26ddd00.pdf, in
the same directory on the server.

But, I think you simply misread what was there.  The console driver by default
lower-cases everything _unless_ you use the % sign to indicate something should
be in upper case.  The example they gave in the l390dd03 document show this:
 input: VInput VMSG ECHO $PATH
 output: echo $path
 input: VInput vmsg echo $%PATH%
 output: echo $PATH

This still holds true, although the l26ddd00.pdf manual words it very
differently:
"All lowercase characters are converted by VM to uppercase. To compensate for
this, the console device driver converts all input to lowercase.

"Linux and bash are case sensitive and require some specifications with
uppercase
characters. To allow uppercase characters to be passed to Linux, the hardware
console uses an escape character *%* under VM to distinguish between uppercase
and lowercase characters. Characters enclosed by two *%* are treated as
uppercase."
Page 251, PDF page 275.

There should probably be a bug filed against the newer doc, because when I try
to follow the sample on a z/VM 5.1 system, I get this back:
00: HCPPCX6531E The operating system will not accept commands from the service
processor.

That may very well be z/VM dependent, but I doubt it.