>>> On 9/25/2008 at  8:46 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mary Elwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

-snip-
> I invoked YAST and I  performed a dasdfmt on disk /dev/dasdh and I created
> a partition  /dev/dasdh1.  FDASD failed for unknown reason was return from
> YAST.  I assumed it was because it was not an ECKD device.  For some reason
> I think I don*t need to format FBA/SCSI..

Both the dasdfmt and fdasd are unnecessary on an FBA device.  When the device
is detected, the kernel automatically "creates" the single partition.

> I mounted /dev/dasdh1 /mnt/susan

How did you do that without first having put a file system on it?

> I issued the   mkreiserfs *b 512 *d /dev/dasdh1
>
> I rebooted drstartr

That wasn't necessary, big warning messages from mkreiserfs to the contrary.
(Who thought that putting out "ATTENTION: YOU SHOULD REBOOT AFTER FDISK!"
during a mkreiserfs command was a good idea?)

> I put 0107 online to drstartr using the chccwdev command
>
> I issued the mount /dev/dasdh1 /mnt/susan
>
> AND the system hangs.
>
> You can*t putty into the system.  The system is non-responsive.  I have to
> issue the force drstartr logoff immediate command and xautlog drstartr to
> get the system back.

What does your z/VM performance monitor say this guest is doing?  I agree with
John that it's likely your system is thrashing itself to death from not having
enough virtual storage defined to it.  If so, that should show up on your
monitor.  If that's not it, then we may need to get into some "magic sysrq key"
stuff.  Do you have a support contract with anyone?