Michael MacIsaac wrote:
Hello list,

A developer told me I could "git" his code at a certain URL. Not wanting
to admit that I've never used git, I decide to try it.
-) I log onto a SLES 10 SP2 s390x Linux (with application development RPMs
installed) and look for git => not found
-) I search for git through yast => not found
-) I google the Web and find a source RPM and try to build it using my
limited knowledge of how to do that ==>
    # rpmbuild -bb git.spec
    error: Failed build dependencies:
        asciidoc is needed by git-1.5.6.5-9.1.s390x
        curl-devel is needed by git-1.5.6.5-9.1.s390x
        sgml-skel is needed by git-1.5.6.5-9.1.s390x
        xmlto is needed by git-1.5.6.5-9.1.s390x
        openssl-devel is needed by git-1.5.6.5-9.1.s390x

The next step is to install those and try again.

So, using git is harder than I hoped it would be. Has anyone used git on
s390x? Is there an easier way?  Thanks.

To build any package, you need the libraries it uses. rpm is telling you
what is needed.

Sometimes, some of those packages are optional in the eyes of the
developer, but that might not be reflected in how your packager sees it.

Building the tarball probably won't be easier (and btw, you have it,
it's part of the src.rpm you're trying to rebuild).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait