On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Marcy Cortes
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes.   Configured as accelerators.
>
> No figures.  There isn't a velocity report on them (no monitor data
> perhaps?).   But the comments from the applications folks was "pretty
> close" to non-SSL.

Benchmarking it is not trivial (appears not even trivial to ensure
they are used). And there's a trade-off to be made in configuration.

The idea is that you offload work to the crypto processor. So after
you started the work, the CPU must go back to get the results. As it
turns out, the resolution of the Linux timer is such that it may take
longer than when you would emulate it in software. So while you save
resources on a global level, measuring a single thread doing these
encryption operations will not show you that in elapsed time. You'd
need enough parallel threads all doing encryption to show the
difference.

To address the customer disappointed caused by this, developers added
the option to let the CPU poll (busy wait) for the crypto. For a
single thread, that means you can run the crypto operations quicker
after each other. As long as the device is faster than software
emulation, you still save CPU although not as much as without polling.
So you pay a price to reduce latency. When you have multiple threads
going for the crypto, you get a queue and operations may take longer
than when you did them yourself. With all waiting threads spinning for
the answer, it also takes more resources then when you did it in
software. I'm not sure what the default is.

With the breakdown of CPU usage per process in Linux, you should be
able to see the sweet spot in your benchmark when you increase the
number of threads.

-Rob