From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Hall, Ken (GTS)
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2008 11:23 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Zfcp.conf

No, it's not necessary, if everything has been done properly.  It has to
do with when in the boot process the FCP devices are attached.

If you ALLOW mkinitrd to put zfcp.conf in the initrd, those disks will
be attached before the root filesystem is mounted.  If you're okay with
that, then it's fine.  But if you want more flexibility, it might make
more sense to remove zfcp.conf entirely before running mkinitrd.  That
way, NO FCP disks are attached before the root filesystem mounts, so
it's all handled later in the boot process, and it all still works.

There are a couple of gotchas with this.  In versions prior to RHEL5.2,
zfcpconf.sh was run out of /etc/rc.s/rc.sysinit.  This resulted in a
"chicken-egg" situation when multipath and/or LVM were used, and Red Hat
went through several iterations trying to fix it, going all the way back
to RHEL4.4.

5.2 triggers the script out of udev, which also nicely solves a race
condition in rc.sysinit, where udev doesn't build the device nodes fast
enough for LVM to catch them.

Far as multipath goes, I don't see why changing the WWPN and Bus ID
should  have changed the identifier that's stored in the bindings file,
but it's possible, since I forget how that's calculated.  The simplest
way to straighten it all out is to run "multipath -F", remove all
entries from the bindings file, and then run "multipath", and let them
rebuild.  You might have to check to be sure you're mounting filesystems
on the right places, though, if you're mounting by node.  We're planning
to standardize on either using LVM, or mount by label, to avoid this.

Two other quick hints:

The default location for the bindings file is in /var/lib.  If /var is
on a separate filesystem from root, the bindings file will be built in
the wrong place, or not built at all, and /var will be mounted over it.
The latest versions of device-mapper-multipath have a parameter in
/etc/multipath.conf that allows you to specify the location of the
bindings file.  Earlier versions required it to be changed via command
line parm, which, of course, required you do surgery on the init script.

Finally, the version of mount that comes with RHEL5.2 uses a new scheme
to prioritize mounts so that multipath devices and their components
don't look like the same disk.  This used to cause mount-by-label to
fail.  If you start getting mount failures, "device busy", or "duplicate
device" messages, check file /etc/blkid/blkid.tab.  If you've added and
removed LUNs, this file can contain residual data that confuses mount.
Just delete it, and reboot, it will be rebuilt properly.

Good luck!