Craig,

You should also update the FSTAB in the following way:

/dev/disk/by-path/ccw-0.0.0xxx-part1    /       ext2    ro,acl,user_xattr 0
0

For me this works fine. The xxx has also an ext2 filesystem on it. I had
also ext3 in the beginning and disabled journaling with tunefs. 0 0 at te
end avoid checking. Before I use the R/O image I check that it was cleanly
unmounted and performed a manual fsck on it.

But please note that you need the /dev directory on a r/w disk. Before the
switch from the initrd system, where the /dev lives in memory, the boot
sequence does a

/bin/mount --move /dev /root/dev

When the /dev is not r/w then you have the i/o errors. I have circumvented
that because I slightly modified the init script. Immediately after the
mount the init script calls a vendor specific script (vendor_init.sh). I
copied this call and build this vendor_init.sh in such a way that it accepts
a parameter. In this script I can mount the minidisk with /dev filesystem
and the above command works. And the boot sequence continues normally.

Personally I find it a pity that SLES makes it more difficult to have a R/O
filesystem than earlier releases.

Regards,
Florian

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 3:16 AM, Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> wrote:
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > I updated zipl.conf to add the "ro" to the end of the kernel parameters
> > and that did fix that but it is still performing a "fsck" on the root
> > file system prior to mounting it as R/O. As a result, I still end up
> > with I/O errors on the root file system due to lost page writes.
>
> The fsck is not what is causing the I/O errors.  When you see "fsck
> succeeded" it's done and over with.  Let me guess, though.  Is this an ext3
> file system (or reiserfs), and are you mounting it as ext3 instead of ext2?
>  If so, then I suspect the system is trying to replay the journal, resulting
> in the I/O errors.  There's no point in having a journaling file system that
> is only going to be mounted read-only.  Use ext2 instead.
>

> Mark Post

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
> visit

Best regards

Florian Bilek