That's not 100% correct, but I think I know what the rep is referring
to. Indeed, Oracle database (and most other Oracle products) are not
certified on VMware, SLES (Xen), RHEL (Xen), Solaris (xVM), etc. in the
x86 world. Oracle Database is certified on Oracle VM *only* for both
Windows and Linux guests. What they want you to do is buy Oracle VM
(their x86 Xen respun). In fact, ideally you're running their database
on their Linux distribution using their virtualization product and
managing it all with their management tool and naturally getting support
for all this from them. Anyway, you're running a non-certified
configuration if you run within any other x86 virtualization technology.
That does not mean you're not "supported", just that you're not
"certified". The distinction is that if you're guest is not running
under OVM and the problem you're calling them about is something they've
never seen before, then the burden is on you to reproduce that problem
in a certified configuration (i.e. on a guest under OVM or Linux on bare
metal) before they will help. If it is a problem they've seen before,
they'll help you..

On the other hand, Oracle on zLinux running under zVM *is* certified.

The document explaining this and listing which non-Oracle virtualization
technologies are supported (all architectures) is here:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/certify/db
_virtualization_support.pdf

-Sam