Tyler,

As David indicated, QUICKDSP is a very big stick that has specific uses.  Once
you
implement Barton's suggestion, you may want to handle prioritizing individual
virtual
machines with SET SHARE.  Be careful there as well, the relative numbers are
just that,
relative to each other.

Tyler Koyl wrote:
Firstly, thanks everyone for you help. I did set storbuf as recommended.

David:

I try and keep quickdsp off as much as possible as well.  Many fruitless
arguments have ensued.  It may be overkill to have it set 'ON' on a test LPAR
but swplt01 is a firewall, swplt05 is a WAS portal. It is 'on' partly to give my
unix admins a warm fuzzy feeling. I am beseeched at all times by Unix admins and
Oracle DBAs who don't understand, and therefore, do not trust z/VM scheduling.
It is an uphill battle at times but progress is being made, and as my knowledge
& comfort level increases, so does theirs.

Thanks again,

Tyler Koyl
Viterra Inc.
Regina, Saskatchewan

--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2009 - Orlando, FL - May 15-19, 2009