Yes, top lies.  So are you really saying a single threaded process is using
more than one
cpu?  Don't need much more proof than that.

What does your performance monitor say (can you measure Linux in an LPAR with
your
performance monitor)???

Normally the processes would be somewhat balanced over the physical CPUs.  so
382% would
mean 95% utilization overall of the 4 CPUs.

Ayer, Paul W wrote:

Good Morning,

I have seen notes before that "top lies" but;

Looking at a top display sorted by %CPU I see some processes using over
200 or 300 % CPU.

This LPAR has 4 IFL's installed and the Linux has access to all four.

Can we use the %cpu below 400 % as an indicator that we are not using
all four at that moment?

Also if the %cpu says lets say ...  382% are we using 100% of two CPU's
and 82% of the third maybe?

Any input or ideas here would be great.

Thanks,
Paul

begin:vcard
fn:Barton Robinson
n:Robinson;Barton
adr;dom:;;PO 390640;Mountain View;CA;94039-0640
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Sr. Architect
tel;work:650-964-8867
note:If you can't measure it, I'm just not interested
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://velocitysoftware.com
version:2.1
end:vcard