On Tuesday 09 December 2008 16:50, Dominic Coulombe wrote:
>* Short story *
>Is it possible to relocate /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group files ?

You're right: you can't change the location of those files without rebuilding
pwutils with a different pathname.  I forget where the code for getpwent(3)
and friends is, but isn't that in libc?  If so, then you'd have to re-build
that too.  It opens a big can of worms...

>I would like to put the /etc directory and most of its content in the shared
>root fs.  Where strictly needed, I would use symbolic links pointing to
>files stored on a local read write disk.  That way, I could have very
>similar clones.

I do things almost this way in some filesystem layouts of my Provisioning
Expert product: I put /etc on a writable filesystem and populate it with
symlinks to a read-only filesystem.  But for certain files, such as the ones
you mention, I copy them from the read-only filesystem to the writable
filesystem when I'm constructing the writable filesystem.  That way, each
Linux instance has its own writable copy of the files it needs to modify, but
they are based on the contents of the shared filesystem.
        - MacK.
-----
Edmund R. MacKenty
Software Architect