Dear Alan,

Thank you for your advice. We are convinced that the guest firewall will
work as good as the real ones. Well, I should mention that the Linux
instances we have are already behind a real firewall. So it goes definitely
about an additional protection towards the internal network.

Best regards,

Florian

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>wrote:

> On Thursday, 12/11/2008 at 06:02 EST, Florian Bilek
> <florian.bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am would like to set up a DMZ under z/VM with SUSE SLES or DEBIAN in
> order
> > to separate Internet related machines and local machines. Is there maybe
> > some cookbook or some Howto how to achieve this?
>
> Florian, has the use of Linux iptables as a firewall been discussed with
> your network security people?  If not, do that first, as guest firewalls
> are often not allowed.
>
> Please see
> http://listserv.uark.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0812&L=ibmvm&P=13792
> as well as my new 'Security Zones on z/VM' presentation, which can be
> found at http://www.vm.ibm.com/devpages/altmarka/present.html (with
> speaker notes).
>
> Alan Altmark
> z/VM Development