Hi Listers.

yesterday I shot myself in the foot by increasing the number of blocks on
the SWAPGEN command.   When I rebooted, I could no longer find my LVM.
When the e2fsck ran it came up with the message "Incorrect metadata area
header checksum".   I ran the vgdisplay, pvdisplay, and lvdisplay and while
I continued to get the "incorrect metadata" messages, the displays looked
correct.  I tried running e2fsck with an alternate superblock, but that
failed.  I tried to run vgcfgrestore and it failed.   I was eventually able
to correct the problem by issuing the pvcreate with the --restorefile
option.

I found a statement in the LVM HOWTO that read "The above command (pvcreate
with the --restorefile option) has been known to recover a PV overwritten
with mkswap."

Does anyone know if there is a size limitation to the number of blocks
using SWAPGEN?

Does anyone know how increasing the number of blocks corrupted the VGDA?
If the VGDA is strored at the beginning of the physical volume I'm not sure
how this was corrupted.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Susan Zimmerman
Senior Systems Software Programmer