>>> On 1/7/2009 at  2:39 PM, Larry Ploetz <la...@stanford.edu> wrote:
-snip-
> Right, but copytruncate doesn't create sparse files when it's rotating
> old generations (i.e., it probably reads the file and creates real \x00
> where there was sparse-ness):

There are only a very few sparse files ever written to /var/log/.  If space is
a concern because they might get really big when being copied, then having
logrotate compress them will solve that.  The few sparse files I am aware of
aren't kept open all the time, so copytruncate isn't necessary for them in the
first place; they just get renamed.