We had a problem today with a Tomcat application on RHEL (admittedly on
Intel). This application asks for a person's userid and password. It then
validates these via LDAP. The LDAP server is our Windows AD. The URL used
actually has 5 IP addresses returned. The application always uses the same
IP address and only that IP address. It ignores the other 4 entirely as
best as we can tell. I have been told that the IP which it uses is the
"closest" one. I can tell from the IP address, that it is on a different
subnet from the others, so I guess that is "closest". Today, that AD
server simply did not respond correctly. "netstat" showed a status of
SYN_SENT and the application eventually "timed out" with an error message
to that effect. It never tried any of the alternatives. We eventually had
to point the application to a single, specific, Windows AD box. It then
began to work.

Now my question: Is it normal for a Java application running under Tomcat6
to always use the "closest" IP address? Is this caused by: (1) the code in
the application (which is close sourced, so I can't look at it); (2) the
way that Java (JDNI?) works?; (3) The way that the TCPIP stack on Linux
works?

If there is a better forum for this type of question, please tell me. I
know Linux fairly well in my "home LAN" environment, which is Linux only.
I know how to gen kernels and other things. But Enterprise Level LAN only
confuse me. And I can't touch ours anyway (thanks be to God!).

--
Q: What do theoretical physicists drink beer from?
A: Ein Stein.

Maranatha!
John McKown