On Friday, 02/13/2009 at 12:48 EST, Mark Post <mp...@novell.com> wrote:

> This problem with using Layer 2 during installation seems to be coming
up more
> often now, so I asked one of my contacts in Germany about it.  He said
the
> OSAHWaddr parameter is what you need to put into the parmfile to provide
that
> value.

Eh?  The OSA (real or virtual) already has a MAC address.  You aren't
required to ifconfig a MAC address to bring up an OSA with Layer 2, so why
does the install want one?  (The drivers extract the burned-in or
otherwise currently set MAC address.)

(And why is the parameter specific to OSA?  *OSA*HWaddr?  Other platforms
have MACs, too.)

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott