Okay, this is not real work, been working on my RHCT, and decided to
test what I can do on a PC to the zLinux platform.

I am trying to create a RAID-1 Array (two disks mirroring each other) in
a zVM environment. I created two minidisks in zVM and am trying to
format them on the zLinux side, using fdasd (instead of fdisk on the PC
side).

But I see no option to format "fd" the disks, with the interactive, it
keeps asking for partition number (here is the display):

(/root)#fdasd /dev/dasdk
reading volume label ..: VOL1
reading vtoc ..........: ok

Command action
   m   print this menu
   p   print the partition table
   n   add a new partition
   d   delete a partition
   v   change volume serial
   t   change partition type
   r   re-create VTOC and delete all partitions
   u   re-create VTOC re-using existing partition sizes
   s   show mapping (partition number - data set name)
   q   quit without saving changes
   w   write table to disk and exit

Command (m for help): t

Disk /dev/dasdk:
  cylinders ............: 750
  tracks per cylinder ..: 15
  blocks per track .....: 12
  bytes per block ......: 4096
  volume label .........: VOL1
  volume serial ........: 0X0205
  max partitions .......: 3

               Device      start      end   length   Id  System
                               2    11249    11248       unused

change partition type
partition id (use 0 to exit):

Has anyone played with "software" RAID on the mainframe Linux?

James Chaplin
Systems Programmer, MVS, zVM & zLinux
Base Technologies, Inc