2009/3/23 van Sleeuwen, Berry <berry.vansleeu...@atosorigin.com>:

> A reason for having DASD not set to shared is to make use of MDC (our
> selling point is that we do not want guests to cache filesystem data
> because we have MDC). But when guests are running in multiple VM systems
> would this hurt in any way? I do know that whenever a guest has to be

I think you reverse the argument. You can't tell Linux not to cache
data because it is a fundamental part of how things work. You can
configure a Linux server to reduce the resources it spends to cache
data, but that's no guarantee that it will not cache data. Whether you
have MDC on or off does not change the way Linux works with its own
page cache. You could mount a file system with an option to disable
page cache, but performance implications of that are normally very
unpleasant.

When your Linux virtual servers share certain disks (a common r/o file
system) then you must not write to them. If you do, both Linux page
cache and MDC may give you out-of-date data and cause data corruption.
Just don't write to them. Use some approach where you prepare a new
disk and put it in place through directory updates.

Even when Linux disks are private for the virtual server (so not
shared with other virtual servers) the a small amount of MDC can be
helpful in some cases. Eg to compensate for the fact that Linux tracks
don't match hardware tracks and when Linux made the wrong decision not
to cache certain important things. I'm not sure you would actually be
able to measure it. Unless your infrastructure guarantees that Linux
will not find old data in MDC, I would recommend to stay away from it.
Defining the Linux volumes as "shared" is an easy trick to disable
MDC.

If you look at the value of data cache in general, the first layer of
cache picks the low hanging fruit. So the I/O you get after Linux page
cache are already less favorable from a cache point of view. You would
need an excessive amount of memory devoted to MDC to make a difference
there. Considering the fact that most I/O subsystems already have such
an excessive amount of memory anyway, throwing in a GB of MDC may not
help you a lot. This also applies to a common R/O shared Linux disk.

--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software