On 3/23/09 3:59 PM, "Richard J Moore" <richardj_mo...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> 1) there's a Z port of WIndows, which I doubt

There was one in the NT 3.51 days. IBM and Microsoft couldn't agree on some
things so it was never released. Talk to Jim Porell about it. He's good for
at least an hour rant on why IBM couldn't get their act together to make it
happen.

> 2) there's an Intel emulator that runs under Z. Not heard of one.

There are several. Bochs (the most successful one so far) will do it, but
you wouldn't want to run production workload on it in terms of performance.
Even on a z10 it's a real porker -- about 2 virtual machines per physical
CPU at any usable speed. The QEMU one is somewhat better in terms of
performance, but it's also not very efficient -- in the 5-7 virtual
machine/CPU range. Not very cost effective given the price of z10 CPUs.

Then there's the Mantissa work that everyone seems to be so excited about
(pretty good for code that isn't shipping yet, and doesn't have a firm
timeline to do so). IBM seems to be betting a lot on that one, but not much
to show for it yet.