I've been following this thread with interest. Having done a couple of CBA's
for similar ideas, its unlikely that the old mainframe, regardless of what it
is, including the 7060's, competes with a VMWARE like configuration running on
commodity hardware like an Intel box. I know of several production SAAS
(Software as a service) offerings relying on this type technology. The 7060
just has not got the gas to do what you want.

The cost drivers that determine the outcome are hardware maintenance, CKD
versus FBA dasd, power, and system programming complexity.

IBM's university initiative might be a better, i.e. less expensive, path if you
want to introduce IOCP to teenagers.

There is a reason old mainframes have low resale values; they are financial
boat anchors.

Good luck.
Edward Long