On 4/1/09 2:14 PM, "Erik N Johnson" <e...@uptownmilitia.com> wrote:

> It is rather curious that IBM is being so territorial in this regard.
> It would be extraordinarily difficult to break into the system Z clone
> market, I would think.

Not really. The PSI suit is a good example of how simple it could be, at
least at the low end. You could fairly easily manufacture 600+ MIP System z
emulated systems these days at a dramatically better price point than the
z10BC -- if you could figure out how to avoid the MIRV lawyer launch
response from Somers and POK.

Wrt to guarding patents and proprietary stuff, they (IBM) are actually
pretty lenient as such companies go. If they have patents on valuable
technologies, they have to pursue them if they want to keep them. Thus they
don't make it easy to reverse engineer their stuff, and they make it legally
risky to try. It continually astonishes me that they haven't obliterated the
Hercules guys yet -- the Herc guys are in an enormous very-dark-grey area
wrt to reverse engineering a number of IBM patents on System z technology.

I think that kind of action would be enormously counterproductive for IBM in
that it would waste a lot of good will in the community they've built up due
to liberal patent use policies, but that's not my decision.

Let's take this one offline. It really isn't Linux related any more.

-- db