From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of
Rob van der Heij
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:16 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] To kick or to clone ... that is the question

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Hall, Ken (GTS)<ken_h...@ml.com> wrote:

> How could it be faster?
>
> Cloning involves simply copying the disks, that's one pass with DDR.

Copying a disk requires reading and writing. Formatting just requires
(short) writes. Depending on your configuration, you may not notice
the extra resource usage in the elapsed time.

But it's probably more whether you spend the time while you're waiting
for it. Once you get into the business of holding several different
golden masters to copy from, things get more complicated.

Back then we used a very bare minimum that was copied to the new root
disk, and the required additional packages were added on top of it.
That approach allows for a stock supply of copied root disks ready to
use.

-Rob

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or

This message w/attachments (message) may be privileged, confidential or
proprietary, and if you are not an intended recipient, please notify the
sender, do not use or share it and delete it. Unless specifically indicated,
this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment
products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any
transaction, or an official statement of Merrill Lynch. Subject to applicable
law, Merrill Lynch may monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC)
traveling through its networks/systems. The laws of the country of each
sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived,
supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are
located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.
References to "Merrill Lynch" are references to any company in the Merrill
Lynch & Co., Inc. group of companies, which are wholly-owned by Bank of America
Corporation. Securities and Insurance Products: * Are Not FDIC Insured * Are
Not Bank Guaranteed * May Lose Value * Are Not a Bank Deposit * Are Not a
Condition to Any Banking Service or Activity * Are Not Insured by Any Federal
Government Agency. Attachments that are part of this E-communication may have
additional important disclosures and disclaimers, which you should read. This
message is subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.ml.com/e-communications_terms/. By messaging with Merrill Lynch you
consent to the foregoing.