Hall, Ken (GTS) wrote:
The small addition of the read time for DDR is nothing compared to the
time required to install the packages over the network.  That's at least
the same amount of reading, plus network time.

The packages are compressed, so that's not accurate.

I agree about the problem of keeping multiple masters.  We keep just one
per version, and use a first-boot process to install additional packages
via yum as needed, or let the admins install what they need manually.

It's still faster, by quite a lot.  Unfortunately, I don't have time
today to run measurements, but our base system clone process takes less
than 30 minutes from beginning to end.

I used to KS a desktop configuration of RHL 7.3  to a 233 Mhz Pentium II
over a 100 Mbit HDX network in under 15 minutes.

All this said, we have been seriously considering going to a kickstart
based method, but my experience with it has not been encouraging.  Aside
from taking longer, it seems to be fairly fragile and requires more
manual effort.  Our clone method consists of running a VM-based dialog,
waiting for the copies to finish (run asynchronously in a service
machine), and then autologging the new guest.

KS is good where you want a series of systems the same. Sorting out
%post scripts can take an amount of mucking around, just like writing
any program. In those cases where user/admins will make further changes,
 the %post processing might be left to first-boot time.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait