Thank you for your input.  I'm going to try them now.
Betsie

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of
Mark Post
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:51 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Lin_tape and IBMtapeutil

>>> On 6/23/2009 at 11:51 AM, "Spann, Elizebeth (Betsie)"
<bsp...@visa.com> wrote:

-snip-
> IBMtapeutil -f /dev/IBMtape0 rewind
> tar cvf /dev/IBMtape0  /directory1
> tar cvf /dev/IBMtape0  /directory2

You're telling the tar command to create a new archive each time.  I
suspect that tar is issuing a rewind command under the covers to
accommodate you.  I think for your second and later commands, you should
be appending to the existing archive, not creating a new one.  MacK's
suggestion to list all the directories you want on a single command is a
good one, but if you then decide later on you want to add more to the
tape, then you will probably wipe out what you already have if you do a
"create" again.

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390