On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Spracklen, Ken<ksprack...@mt.gov> wrote:

> I would appreciate any words of wisdom on ways to cut the batch processing
> time on the zLinux guest to be comparable to the blade server.

For starters, you can collect the per-process CPU statistics and
identify the most heavy threads in a javacore dump. That's mostly
off-line work and does not put additional load on the system like
profiling tools would do (if they even provide you the correct data in
this environment)

One of the areas I worked on is the implications of virtualization on
the IBM JDK profiler.There are some real issues there (no pun
intended) but they tend to show during application startup.

Since you have entirely different installations to compare, there
could be some extra unrelated stuff that got installed and takes
resources.

I would not be worried by z/VM doing a few pages per second, but it is
important to know whether your server is in page wait. Most likely
your idle servers don't drop from queue and frustrate z/VM memory
management. As long as you have sufficient expanded storage that may
still be acceptable. Lot of questions, and we'd probably need full
z/VM and Linux performance data to understand what's happening.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software