Thanks guys on your responses.

It looks like we will be going down a different path now with some recently
dicovered information for our install. In my original post I didn't indicate
I'm installing z/VM 5.4 on a z10. The following is from page 111 of the z10
System Overview, System z10 Enterprise Class, SA22-1084-03:

Installation support for z/VM using the HMC
The System z10 EC allows the installation of Linux on System z in a z/VM 5.4
virtual machine using the Hardware Management Console (HMC) DVD drive. This
function does not require an external network connection between z/VM and
the HMC. Instead, it utilizes the existing internal communication path
between the support element and the HMC. Installing z/VM from the HMC DVD
drive using the legacy support and the z/VM support, z/VM can be installed
in an LPAR and both z/VM and Linux on System z can be installed in a virtual
machine from the HMC DVD drive without requiring any external network setup
or a connection between an LPAR and the HMC.

Thanks, Ross

Ross Johnson
Sr. Systems Programmer
National Defence