Bauer, Bobby (NIH/CIT) [E] wrote:
How do I use by-device-address? Don't find it on the Redhat site nor did Google
tell me much. Fstab is built from the input of Anaconda when I build the server
isn't it?

The /dev/disk/ directory contains links with other ways to access the
DASD.  For example, on my system:

# ls -ld /dev/disk/*
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 480 Jul 15 19:22 /dev/disk/by-id
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  60 Jun 25 15:13 /dev/disk/by-label
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 380 Jul 15 19:22 /dev/disk/by-path
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  60 Jul 15 17:12 /dev/disk/by-uuid

# ls /dev/disk/by-id/ccw-0X3D2C* -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jun 25 15:13 /dev/disk/by-id/ccw-0X3D2C ->
../../dasda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Jun 25 15:13 /dev/disk/by-id/ccw-0X3D2C-part1
-> ../../dasda1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Jun 25 15:13 /dev/disk/by-id/ccw-0X3D2C-part2
-> ../../dasda2

You can use these in /etc/fstab, but in your case with LVM, I don't
think it will help, since LVM entries in fstab are of the form
/dev/{volume_group_name}/{logical_volume_name}.

Going back to the original issue, the reason the new disk came up as
dasdg is because you're calling chccwdev/mkswap in /etc/rc.local.  As
Adam, Pat, and Mike pointed out, you should use modprobe.conf for all
disks.  Either:

options dasd_mod dasd=200-205,700-701

in which case any DASD you add after 701 will be dasdh.  Or you could do
something like:

options dasd_mod dasd=200-20f,700-701

The latter is a preallocation of device nodes.  You can add any DASD up
to 70f without needing to remake the initrd or rerun zipl.

-Brad

Bobby Bauer
Center for Information Technology
National Institutes of Health