>>> On 8/10/2009 at  5:53 PM, Lionel Dyck <ld...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
-snip-
> For example for SLES 11 there are these repositories: SLES11-Extras,
> SLES11-Pool, SLES11-Updates and these for SLES10-SP2 plus
> SLES11-SP2-Online.
>
> I'd like to know what these repositories are and what a suggested use for
> each would be.

Extras are for non-supported software that might be useful.
Pool is all the packages for a particular GA release or service pack.
Online is all the packages necessary to perform an online update from SPx-1 to
SPx.
Updates are post-GA or post-SP updates.

> Also the doc mentions commands which don't exist in the z flavor of SMT
> such as smt-repositories - in fact I can't find any of the smt-xxxx
> commands.

They're in the smt-1.1.16-0.1.1.s390x.rpm package, which should have been
installed as part of the add-on product installation process:
rpm -qlp smt-1.1.16-0.1.1.s390x.rpm | grep bin/smt-
/usr/lib/SMT/bin/smt-daily
/usr/lib/SMT/bin/smt-db
/usr/lib/SMT/bin/smt-gen-report
/usr/lib/SMT/bin/smt-jobqueue-cleanup
/usr/lib/SMT/bin/smt-repeated-register
/usr/lib/SMT/bin/smt-run-jobqueue-cleanup
/usr/sbin/smt-catalogs
/usr/sbin/smt-client
/usr/sbin/smt-delete-registration
/usr/sbin/smt-job
/usr/sbin/smt-list-products
/usr/sbin/smt-list-registrations
/usr/sbin/smt-mirror
/usr/sbin/smt-mirror-sle9
/usr/sbin/smt-ncc-sync
/usr/sbin/smt-register
/usr/sbin/smt-report
/usr/sbin/smt-repos
/usr/sbin/smt-setup-custom-catalogs
/usr/sbin/smt-setup-custom-repos
/usr/sbin/smt-staging

Just a guess, it appears that smt-repositories should actually be smt-repos.