On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Agblad Tore<tore.agb...@volvo.com> wrote:

> We are running a test of a TWS server on a SLES10 SP2, and it uses a lot of
> cpu
> without any load.
> Inside the Linux top cmd indicate about 1% or less cpu used in total.
> z/VM reports about 9% cpu !
> What is he doing ?
> It's a bundled WAS used by the TWS that we suspect doing something.
> Anybody having this problem or have a clue what to do ?
> It's TWS 8.5, z/VM 5.4 and SLES10 SP2.
> The linux server has 1GB memory, we have tried with 2GB, no change.

Takk for sist, Tore.

What's happening is that the application is polling with very short
delay and thus getting tiny amounts of CPU time from z/VM but very
often. In this situation a kernel bug starts to play a role in that
some of the cost of waking up and going to sleep is not accounted for
by Linux. The kernel code has now been changed and the fix for this
will appear sometime in the service stream. With that, Linux will also
see 9% CPU (as system time)

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij