if you are running this under z/VM you can just do a cpfmtxa and just
change the volser

Bauer, Bobby (NIH/CIT) [E] wrote:
Is there a way to rename a volume? I'm testing a DR scenario. I've formatted a
volume under ZM as UPST01, attached it to Linux (Redhat 5) and did

lsdasd
0.0.0201(ECKD) at ( 94:  0) is dasda      : active at blocksize 4096, 1802880
blocks, 7042 MB
0.0.2201(ECKD) at ( 94:  4) is dasdb      : n/f

The:
dasdfmt -y -b 4096 -d cdl -f /dev/dasdb -l UPST01

Now I need to build 3 partitions so I created
fdasdb.conf
        [2,2134]
        [2135,12481]
        [12482,last]

and issued
fdasd -c /fdasdb.conf /dev/dasdb

This all worked fine but now the volume is labeled 0x2202. The fdasd command
will not let you keep the volser unless you do the entire volume using -a. So
OK, is there a better way or can I just simply rename it back to UPST01 somehow?

Bobby Bauer
Center for Information Technology
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD 20892-5628