This historical discussion prompted me to look online at
http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-VM, where I see the earliest
monthly logs of this list, LINUX-390,  start in Dec 1998 as a list named
LINUX-VM which Marist apparently hosted specifically for the Bigfoot
participants' use.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it
to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
the e-mail from your system.