I have been banging my head (and the keyboard with google.com/linux)
trying to come up with an answer/solution.

When setting up a new user, I want to be able to expire the user's
temporary password, allowing the user to login with the temporary
password, but force him/her to create his own password on the first
login.

I know how to set the INACTIVE value in the /etc/shadow file, but is
there a command to modify the account without manually modifying the
/etc/shadow create date (to expire) to do this?

James Chaplin
Systems Programmer, MVS, zVM & zLinux
Base Technologies, Inc
Supporting the zSeries Platform Team