Melancon, Ruddy wrote:
We are currently doing Global Mirroring creating a "consistency group" every 30
seconds.  What impact will this have during a recovery situation when we implement zVM
and zLinux.  The concern is in regard to Linux caching of output and the potential loss
of disk metadata.  Can we be assured that Linux will recover during a disaster situation.
 We do plan on doing a flashcopy of Linux volumes after placing the Linux images in
single user mode.

The question of copying Linux filesystems while the system is live has
been debated here many times.

You cannot use external facilities to copy a Linux filesystem while it's
mounted, maybe even when it's mounted ro as even then,there may be some
filesystem errors corrected (for example, consider running fsck which
can only be run on a filesystem when it's mounted ro).

There is nothing an external device, such as a storage controller,
having any idea of what's in the Penguin's head.

I have cloned Linux filesystems while they're mounted, even when rw, and
got away with it, but then I wasn't betting the bank on it either. I'd
never do it for something where my future employment or bank deposits
were at risk.

I'm sure Google can help you find previous discussions. Key words to
look for include clone, backup, flashcopy, linux.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait