Judson,
Those instructions were just a workaround for a problem which appeared when we
updated the book from SLES 9 to SLES 10. Novell support was not even willing to
admit there was a change in chroot behaviour, not to solve it. So I
investigated what had to be done and those were the steps I came with. There
might be again another change in SLES 11.
I agree with Mike, look at updated cookbook, this time as a redbook. It does
not use chroot and I like that approach more. As Mike says, there are
tradeoffs, but I think it is much cleaner without chroot.

 Marian Gasparovic
"The mere thought hadn't  even  begun  to speculate about the merest
possibility of crossing my mind."