Alan Altmark wrote:
Ah, semantics.  :-)  People arbitrate (decide).  Machines obey.  The mere
presence of a user account does not justify its existence.

The justification is the shopwork rule, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

In a Unix system, having a process to ensure that you *don't* orphan files
when deleting an account would seem to be de riguer.

Would seem to, wouldn't it? Some do. Some don't.

The one constant is change and so I suggest that no auditor or sysadmin
will know all "necessary" and "not necessary" accounts, and that they must
work together to turn the unknown into the known.

"Don't mess with accounts[uid < 100] installed by the default install" is not a bad rule.

Same thing on z/VM: If you don't remove the objects created by or for a
user, and scrub all of your authorization lists when you delete a virtual
machine, you shouldn't ever reuse a z/VM user ID.  Example: SFS
directories.

Good procedure. No one sane would re-use the games uid anyway, it's < 100
and thus "customary" on your flavor of Linux. Break "custom" at yer own risk!

--
Jack J. Woehr            # «'I know what "it" means well enough, when I find
http://www.well.com/~jax # a thing,' said the Duck: 'it's generally a frog or