>From Mark Post...
>> -  or do most just do chccwdev and then run mkinitrd and zipl
>
>This will not make it permanent in any practical sense,

This worked on SLES-10 as all online devices were added to the initrd for
initialization.  This is no longer supported on SLES-11 where only the
DASD for the root file system are initialized in the initrd.  Also this
does not add or delete the hwcfg-dasd-bus-ccw-* files which often lead to
confusion.

>From Mike MacIsaac...
>I like this one:
>> -  or add a dasd=<dasd-list> in their kernel parameters
>
>because then you can go to /etc/zipl.conf to see which disks (or disks
and
>"slots") the system is supposed to have.  And if you do leave slots open,
>you can add DASD more easily.

This worked on SLES-10 as well.  This is currently not supported on
SLES-11.   This also did not automatically add hwcfg files.  Though the
config files could be copied from existing config files later.  This
method I know has been popular with various teams within IBM.

As Mark pointed out, I believe yast and dasd_configure are the only really
supported methods of adding additional disks.  Since some of the
unsupported or less well known methods were phased out in SLES-11,  I was
just wondering how much penetration they had in the field and if there was
any need to address support such as making feature requests to get items
added back in?

- Mark Ver

office:  Building 710 / Room 2-RF-10
phone: (845) 435-7794  [tie 8 295-7794]