I know we've had this discussion before.. but..  I fail to understand why
everyone seems to find LVM reliable for everything BUT /.   I'm promised it
will certainly fail - it's just a matter of time.  Why??   Why does the
reliability of LVM suddenly break down when you talk about a particular
filesystem?   I find it illogical.

The few times I've experienced issues with / being an LVM are the very same
issues I have with any other filesystem under an LVM .. missing disks,
changed uuids, etc.

I'm not especially advocating using LVM for / - although I find it has some
advantages.   I'm just asking why it's reliability is so much in question.
What is there about / that makes LVM 'sure to fail'?   I say humbug to
that..

(oh yeah - it's thanksgiving - time to get the turkey in the oven)

Scott

p.s.  I'll say this -- if you do put / under an LVM - have a bootable Linux
disk you use for recovery around that doesn't use LVM at all (avoid vg name
conflicts).  Or at least be prepared to boot the install kernel..   That's
the only difference I see in using / under an LVM ..  recovery may not be as
simple..   but the concepts for correcting LVM issues are the same.