This is a good start, but in my experience I think that / has to be LVM as
well, the only partition you have to let in dasd is /boot so I recomend
something like:

/dev/dasda1 /boot 100M
/dev/systemvg/rootlv /root

so this let you increase root partition in case that some of the another
directories that you don't partitioned separately goes big ;)

I recommend to give explicit names to the GroupVolumes and Logical Volumes as
well Like this:

/dev/systemvg/rootlv /
/dev/systemvg/varlv /var
/dev/systemvg/optlv /opt
/dev/datavg/db2lv /db2
/dev/.... I think you got the Idea.

Regards...

Miguel Angel Barajas Hernandez
Premium Support Engineer, CLA,CLP, CCTS, CNSP, LTS, CLE
mabara...@novell.com
t +52 55 52842700
f +52 55 52842799
m +52 55 39884315

Novell de México
SUSE* Linux Enterprise 11
Your Linux is ready
http://www.novell.com/linux

>>> And Get Involved  11/26/09 3:11 PM >>>
Thanks, Mark. I know you will answer my question. Even it is your
thanksgiving day!
I need your more education on the file system as you know I am a newbie in
linux.

>Based on a number of years experience with midrange systems, adjusted
slightly for the mainframe, I prefer >this style setup:
># df -h
>Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>/dev/dasda1     388M  119M  250M  33% /
>/dev/vg1/home    97M  4.2M   88M   5% /home
>/dev/vg1/opt     74M   21M   50M  30% /opt
>/dev/vg1/srv    1.2G  1.1G  100M  92% /srv
>/dev/vg1/tmp    291M   17M  260M   6% /tmp
>/dev/vg1/usr    1.2G  915M  183M  84% /usr
>/dev/vg1/var    245M   69M  164M  30% /var

I know all the other folder is above / folder.
so this setting means except /home /opt /srv /tmp /usr /var
other linux folders are resident on dasda1
And the size on dasda1 is fixed.

Does that mean the rest of folders will not grow dramatically in the
future?
And If /root and /boot are the key folders to recover the system when
something went wrong,
    Can we just put both of them or plus /etc into /dasd1 and leave the /
on the LVM?

Sunny :)

From:   Mark Post
To:     LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Date:   11/26/2009 10:39 AM
Subject:        Re: what is the recommand when we do partitions during
installation
Sent by:        Linux on 390 Port

wrote:
> We use sles10 on z/VM. And also use LVM.
>
> where we should put /boot  and / ?
> how large for physical volume?  Should put / into physical partition?

Based on a number of years experience with midrange systems, adjusted
slightly for the mainframe, I prefer this style setup:
# df -h

/dev/dasda1     388M  119M  250M  33% /
/dev/vg1/home    97M  4.2M   88M   5% /home
/dev/vg1/opt     74M   21M   50M  30% /opt
/dev/vg1/srv    1.2G  1.1G  100M  92% /srv
/dev/vg1/tmp    291M   17M  260M   6% /tmp
/dev/vg1/usr    1.2G  915M  183M  84% /usr
/dev/vg1/var    245M   69M  164M  30% /var

Some day, this is going to be the default proposal for the SLES installer.
 I'm just not sure when it will get high enough on the priority list to
get developer time for a release.

For mainframes, there is little to no advantage having /boot be on a
separate partition.  The same is true of almost all modern midrange
systems, but it tends to persist there from habit/tradition.

I do _not_ put / into an LV.  I've had enough problems trying to recover
the system when something went wrong to keep punishing myself by doing
that again.  Note that you _will_ have a problem some day, it is just a
matter of time.  By having all the other file systems broken out of / I
never have to worry about resizing it.  Except for the contents of /root,
it just doesn't grow, and I have complete control of what goes in /root.
Unless things work out "just so" I usually wind up with a decent amount of
unused space in the VG.  This is a good thing to keep in reserve so that
you can expand one or another of the LVs.

So, what I do is take my first 3390-x volume, and put two partitions on
it.  The first is for /, and I make that about 500MB or so.  You can
decide how big you want it for your systems.  The second is for LVM as a
PV.  All other DASD volumes I only put one partition on, and those are all
for LVM PVs.  Note that I am not talking about application/data storage
space here.  This is only for the operating system.  The non-OS space
comes from additional DASD (or SCSI) and that goes into a separate VG from
the OS.

> Why?

See above.

> I remember on one red book said put /boot on /dasda with the size 512
MB.
> then the rest put into LVM. Can't find that book anymore. Is that right?

512MB for /boot is way too large for any practical purpose.  If you're
going to put / into an LV, I would only make /boot around 50-100MB.  But,
as I said, I wouldn't have / in an LV.

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or

Scanned by WCB Webgate1 AntiSpam/AntiVirus email gateway.

This message is intended only for the addressee.  It may contain privileged or
confidential information.  Any unauthorized disclosure is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately so
that we may correct our internal records.  Please then delete the original
email.  Thank you. (Sent by Webgate2)